The Gillick Pageant is a 1920’s carved oak heraldic monument that tells the story of Sir Thomas More’s estate from 1524 onward. It comprises of eleven decorated shields that are set along long carved oak lengths. Each shield commemorates a land owner starting with Thomas More on the far left through to the the last owner Sir Hans Sloane in 1724 on the right. Earnest and Mary Gillick created this heraldic display to commemorate the great history of the site which can be found at 381 Kings Road, Chelsea, London.
The monument had begun to rot a long time ago, the whole structure was deconstructed and put inside to dry. This action had accelerated the detrioration process and all elements were in bad state and required urgent attention. The whole structure was brought to the workshop where a thorough examination took place to determine a treatment plan.
All parts that could be conserved were treated and consolidated. Then we set about repairing and restoring. This involed re-carving, remaking missing elements and remodelling where necessary.
Once all structural parts were sound and all the remaking completed the all important decoration now needed to be applied. Paint anlaysis revealed that the monument had been restored in the 1990’s. Heraldry has a grammer and it is important to get it right. All our oil-based paints were hand mixed to the correct colour and gold and silver leaf was applied.
The monument was to be replaced in its original exterior site so we added lead covers to help protect the wood from the elements and thus further preserve the monument for future generations.
Lincoln CathedralShop manager